balalaika IT newsletter #3
- TJ VanToll watched all 27 React Europe talks and provided us with his notes.
- A good read from PayPal on how they approach sharing UI components at their enterprise level.
- A Visual Guide To React Mental Models, Part 2. This time it's useState, useEffect and lifecycles.
- Pointer compression is a low-level feature recently introduced in V8. Not only it saves memory, but it improves the performance (surprise!). Hopefully, it will be available in Node.js in the future.
- Did you know that there were experiments with jemalloc in Node.js core? As expected, not a silver bullet, but definitely an interesting read.
- An in-depth overview (with benchmarks!) of modern garbage collectors applied to a stream processing framework.
- While pointer compression is a recent improvement of V8, Hotspot JVM had compressed oops for ages.
- Your ultimate guide on learning how to design large-scale systems and prep for the system design interview.
- Joshua Thijssen describes ALL AWS services in one sentence each.
- Most modern server machines have NUMA memory architecture, so modern software has to be NUMA-friendly. If you are not familiar with NUMA yet, check out this post.